The Porch

I thought I should post a few pics of what we call "The Porch". It's where we have lived for the past three years during our maddening, stress inducing, I'll never make it, farmhouse renovation. Typically when you hear the word porch most people invision an outdoor space. Our "porch" is more like a sunroom, I suppose. It was added on to the original house years ago and wraps around the south and east sides of what used to be the homes exterior. It is completely enclosed but with windows along each exterior wall. As part of our renovations we took out the two windows that looked out onto the porch from inside the house and the door that lead out to the porch. The two windows and the door were along the south wall of the kitchen/dining area and we replaced them with french doors with fixed windows on each side that are centered on the south wall. Once the renovations are complete (if we're still alive) we plan to use the space on the porch as extra seating and to add to the flow when we have guests and possibly a kid's play area. It needs a lot of work to but for now I've tried to make it a comfortable living space to relax. Its multiple uses include our kitchen, dining room and living room. It's amazing how much we have put in this little space.

This is our cozy little living room. We put up new siding but it will eventually be painted.





We were storing our new couch covered in another room of the house but when we hung the new drywall and everything we had to move it to the porch. Our dining table use to be where the new couch is now under the little chandelier which, by the way, I found on the clearance shelf at Lowes for only $35!







You can kind of see the french doors in this photo to the right. Also, I have to point out that Houston built the armoire in this picture. It was also stored in another room but had to be moved to the porch during the drywall installation. It still needs to be stained or painted but I am so proud of this project of his. He's very talented. The only problem is, that's where I normally put the Christmas tree! He built it to fit our tv so we may end up and move it to the living area and put the tv in it even though it's not finished.




My itty bity, but functional kitchen!





The sink is in the counter to the right in this picture. I was standing next to it when I took the photo. I just didn't get it in the picture. Our microwave is actually under the sink area. You can kind of see the curtains hanging down from the counter top and behind them is our dishwasher and also a little cart on rollers with our canned goods and other food.







I had fun with this project. We moved some of the old cabinets that used to be in the house in the old kitchen out to the porch. We just set the upper cabinets on top of the lower ones and made it look like a hutch. I painted them all because they were a little old and not very pretty and added some new hardware. I even painted the counter tops black for a more updated look. We had already gotten rid of some of the cabinet doors so I made some little curtains to cover the bottom.



Hopefully now you have a better idea of what I mean when I talk about living on the porch. It's not all that bad. It's pretty cozy actually!

3 comments:

Laura said...

You guys are making so much progress!! It is going to be so pretty when it is done! I love all the fun things to make the porch a little home! very cute!!!

rae said...

i adore your farmhouse in progress!!! you are doing so great. thanks for putting up the pics. Merry Christmas time! i love you. wish i could see you everyday! wouldn't that be the best!

Shelly Collins said...

That elf video is belly laughing hilarious! I can't wait to show Blake!